WE THE MAKERS 2020
15 MAY – 4 OCTOBER 2020
NATIONAL WOOL MUSEUM, Geelong.
A UNESCO City of Design festival showcasing makers, designers and artists.
We the Makers is a major new biennial event on the National Wool Museum calendar. Every two years we will focus on an emerging theme from the world of wool, fibre and textiles. This year the theme is “Design for the Future: Sustainable and Ethical Textiles and Fashion”.
Who can enter?
- Established professional designers and professional artists.
- Emerging professional designers (final year tertiary students, designers with up to three years industry experience).
What can be entered?
- Each entrant is required to make one “look” head to toe that responds to the Festival theme. The look should include shoes and accessories to support the overall design – these can either be created by the designer or purchased providing they are consistent with the Festival theme “Design for the Future: Sustainable and Ethical Textiles and Fashion”.
- Entries will be judged on their ability to design and redefine sustainable and ethical textiles. Your entry may respond to one or more of the of the following categories: Material Innovation, Circular Process Innovation, Design Innovation, Business Innovation.
- All entries must be available to be showcased at the National Wool Museum for the entirety of the We the Makers exhibition, 15 May to 4 October 2020.
- The top twenty entries will be selected and invited to take part in the exhibition.
- No items will be for sale.
- Designers are responsible for transport of garments to and from the Museum.
All entries to the Designer Showcase go in the running to win the following major prizes.
- National Wool Museum Designer of the Year Award ($10,000)
- UNESCO City of Design, People’s Choice Award ($2,000)
- Emerging Designer of the Year Award, Mentorship Program with our exhibition partners
HOW TO ENTER
- Make. Make one “look” head to toe that responds to the festival theme.
- Document. Remember that we are all makers, so part of the entry must include a short video (up to 60 sec) and 3 high-res “work in progress” images.
- Enter. Complete the entry form and submit it online along with the requested supporting materials, including images, videos and descriptions.
- Wait. First round judging will take place to select the top twenty entries that will go in the running for cash prizes.
- Send. Upon hearing from the National Wool Museum send in your entry to the National Wool Museum.
- Celebrate. Come to the We the Makers launch on 14 May 2020 to see if you have become Designer of the Year.
Entries Open: 25 November 2019
Entries Close: 2 March 2020
First Round Judging on Online Entries: 9 March 2020
Top Twenty Entrants Notified: 16 March 2020
Final Date for Delivery of Items: 6 April 2020
Exhibition Opening & Awards: 14 May 2020
Exhibition Open: 15 May 2020
Exhibition Close: 4 October 2020
There are no entry fees for the Designer Showcase. However, all entries must be available to be exhibited at the National Wool Museum for the entire duration of the We the Makers exhibition – 15 May to 4 October 2020. All entrants must cover the cost of postage to the National Wool Museum for the exhibition. The National Wool Museum will cover the postage for the return of items.
How do I enter?
Enter online at: nwm.vic.gov.au/wethemakers (https://www.geelongaustralia.com.au/nwm/calendar/item/8d71658303fefee.aspx)
For every designer
- One Entry Form completed online.
Follow the links on the website and enter online. You will need to include
- Title of Look
- Names of designer or designers involved in the production if it is a collaborative entry
- List of the materials and processes used to make the items (max 150 word maximum)
- Designer statement (300 word maximum)
- One video (up to 60sec) showcasing an aspect of items in production.
- 3 high-res images (300dpi) showing “works-in-progress” [these can include original sketches, drawings or notebook entries]. Remember this is a festival for makers.
- 3 high-res images (300dpi) showing the completed “look”.
After you have registered online
- All online entries will be judged by an expert panel
- The top 20 entries will be invited to be part of the Designer Showcase of the We the Makers exhibition
- All invited entries must be sent or delivered in person to the National Wool Museum by the final date of delivery, 6 April 2020.
- Your submission package must include your reference number
- Do not attach any additional tags or information to your item as they will be removed and cannot be returned.
- Delivered and Post to:
National Wool Museum
26 Moorabool Street, Geelong
Mon – Fri 9.30am – 5pm
Sat – Sun 9.30am – 5pm
All items entered into the Design Showcase will be returned in due course following the closure of the exhibition.
E: email@example.com P: 03 5272 4701